February 11, 2011

Tropica at the Westin Maui

I haven't posted in almost two weeks, in part due to the horrific flu I contracted, rendering my senses of taste and smell useless, and in part due to my vacation on Maui. Yes, sadly the illness and the vacation overlapped; however, what better place to recover from illness than a tropical island? I ate plates and plates of tropical fruit loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants, drank lots of OJ (in the form of mai tai, so I got both vitamin C AND alcohol), let the warm ocean water do its magic on my respiratory system, and began feeling better after a few days.

The first meal I ate where I could taste and smell was at Tropica, the upscale restaurant at the Westin Maui Resort & Spa. We have stayed at the Westin for our last three trips to Maui, as its location and amenities are about as close to perfection as we can afford. (I hear the Ritz and the Four Seasons will make you weep when you have to leave, and I don't want to be too deeply disappointed to return to my life after vacation!) In any event, Tropica has a beautiful view of the Ka'anapali Beach and walkway, and although it is expensive, the creative menu and superb service make this restaurant worth the expense. The wine list had a very nice selection and range of prices, although I wish more were available by the glass.

What I drank:
Pighin Pinot Grigio (by the glass, no vintage given)
Please take into account my senses were still somewhat impaired. I did get a nice nose on this wine of apple and pear, which carried into the front of the wine. Crisp flavors and a light body developed into additional flavors of lemon and grass, and the wine was light on the tongue. The finish was smooth and light, with lingering fruit. This paired very well with my mussels and clams in coconut broth. I gave it 7 out of 10 points, and note I would like to try this wine again when the nasty drippy stuff clears out of my system.

Watching the end of the sunset, listening to the waves crashing on the beach, sipping a good wine and eating a delicious meal is my idea of a perfect moment on vacation, and Maui provides many opportunities to have these moments, which is why we return year after year.

1 comment:

  1. I had heard the same thing about the Ritz and the Four Seasons. I watch the Wealth channel a lot hahaha. As for Pinot Grigio, I love it but for some reason it makes me an angry drunk which isn't worth it. No other alcohol seems to have the same effect on me but oh well I suppose I can make one sacrifice and not drink Pinot Grigio. Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete